About English Department
Since its inception in January 2007, the Department of English has been offering BA and MA in English for both regular students and professionals. At the moment, it has twenty two in-house faculty members, excluding other adjunct faculty members, working at its permanent campus on Lake Drive Road at Uttara as well as at its city campus on Green Road at Dhanmondi. The good news is that it has already compiled a proposed MA in ELT program, which will commence shortly after it receives the UGC approval.
The Department of English is to create leaders equipped with befitting knowledge and required skills for economic emancipation and social well-being. In harmony with the mission of the university, the Department of English aims at enabling students to flourish academically, personally and socially through utilitarian education and critical thinking with the help of latest development in knowledge. It provides students with the communicative and analytical skills required for higher studies as well as for employment in both public and private fields.
Briefly, its program objectives are to promote liberal humanitarian values through the study of the masterpieces of English and American literature, non-native writings in English, cultural studies, postcolonial studies, etc. and to develop a critical understanding of issues related to the teaching of the English language, linguistics and literature, and to prepare students as well as trained professionals with the latest knowledge and skills to face academic and professional challenges. Its graduate skills include communication skills, problem solving, interpersonal skills, critical thinking, ethics, commitment to and capacity for lifelong learning, IT familiarity and Information literacy.
Some of the facilities are well-equipped classrooms, day and evening classes, Friday classes for professionals and service holders, student-friendly fee and the payment system, students’ membership with professional, social and cultural organizations, performance-based scholarship, special waivers for freedom fighters’ families and selected others, and different clubs like Language Club, WUB LitClub, Cultural Club, Debating Club and many others to help students gain expertise in valuable life skills.
About World University of Bangladesh
World University of Bangladesh (WUB) established under the private University Act, 1992 (amended in 1998), approved and recognized by the Ministry of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh is a leading university for utilitarian education. The University is governed by a board of trustees constituted as per private universities Act 2010 which is a non-profit making concern. The university is a member of the Association of Private Universities in Bangladesh, Association of Common Wealth Universities and Quality Assurance & Improvement Council and appears in the worldwide listing of universities by the UNESCO.
Although the formal approval to start operation of the World University of Bangladesh was received on February 26, 2003, the ground work for the university began in early part of 2000, Now the university on entering its 10th year of operation has all needed infrastructural facilities and highly qualified teachers in its 3 faculties and 11 departments with 24 programs at day and evening.
World University of Bangladesh is destined to provide utilitarian education for economic emancipation without undermining the national ideals and aspirations and is authorized to offer courses and award degrees, diplomas, certificates on its own. At present it has credit transfer arrangements and academic collaborations with some universities in UK, USA, Australia and the Caribbean.
The university had its first convocation on 28th October 2008, where 782 students received degree from the Hon’ble President of People’s Republic of Bangladesh and Chancellor of World University of Bangladesh. (also see our website: www.wub.edu.bd). As many as 2300 students are now ready for conferment of degrees in the up-coming convocation. None of its degree holders is unemployed implying its emphasis on quality education with utilitarian bent.
This university is the pioneer in introducing degree programs for the Diploma Engineers; B.Sc. in Mechatronics Engineering (MTE) & Master of Business Education (MBE) in this part of the world. The MTE program also known as electro-Mechanical engineering in few western countries is a synergistic combination of a number of basic engineering and administrative courses. As such, it is a highly demanding course at home and abroad. The MBE program is meant for people destined to make career in teaching of business related subjects and for those willing to make a career in practical business world in short span of time. We have few Institutes and various types of collaboration programs. All of our programs are approved by the UGC. We publish some journals which have earned appreciation at home and abroad.
The vision of the Department of English of World University of Bangladesh is to create leaders equipped with befitting knowledge and required skills for economic emancipation and social well-being.
To Provide Excellence in Education and Research to Produce Internationally Competent Pharmacists
In harmony with the mission of the university, the Department of English aims at enabling students to flourish academically, personally and socially through utilitarian education and critical thinking with the help of latest development in knowledge. It provides students with the communicative and analytical skills required for employment in both public and private fields, and for higher studies.
- To provide conducive environment for effective learning.
- To develop and offer a dynamic syllabus to meet the changing needs of business world.
- To provide advanced knowledge and skills that are specific to conducting any business from small enterprises to multinational corporations.
- To equip the candidate with much wider career opportunities, particularly in those sectors where globalization or the increasing internationalization of trade is a new or up and coming phenomenon.
- To prepare graduates for employment in challenging but rewarding area.
- To integrate cultural understandings with relevant functional skills and prepare graduates for employment in virtually all aspects of government, commerce, and trade.
- To enable the graduates to progress to senior management positions in business management and operations where specialist knowledge can be used.
- To develop and enrich the faculty members with required qualities and skills.
- Knowledgeable and technically competent in English language, literature, and applied linguistics
- Effective in communication and demonstration of good leadership quality in an organization
- Implement modern research and scientific discoveries in the field of drug discovery.
- Capable to address English language, literature, and linguistic issues innovatively, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach
- Able to demonstrate analytical skills and recognize the need of lifelong learning for successful career advancement
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs):
|Knowledgeable and technically competent in English language, literature, and applied linguistics
|Effective in communication and demonstration of good leadership quality in an organization
|Capable to address English language, literature, and linguistic issues innovatively, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach
|Able to demonstrate analytical skills and recognize the need of lifelong learning for successful career advancement
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs):
|Social skills and responsibilities
|Ethics, professionalism and humanities
|Communication, leadership and team skills
|Scientific methods, critical thinking and problem solving skills
|Lifelong learning and information management
|Entrepreneurship and managerial skills
|IT familiarity/Use of technology/Information literacy/ Information management
Well-equipped class rooms and state of the art labs and modern teaching aids
WUB Lab Pictures
- Highly qualified faculty members.
- Student scholarship
- Recent scientific instrument.
- Remedial English Course till the students attain fluency.
- Remedial Courses for Computer Science & Mathematics.
- Student-friendly fee and payment system.
- Hostel facilities for ladies & rural students.
- Students’ involvement with professional, social and cultural organizations
- Teaching with full time teachers
- Different performance based scholarship & stipend.